ENABLING WOMEN IN A GENDER-BIASED STEM WORKFORCE

Viewpoint from an Aspiring Leader

Class of 2019-2020

After a successful application last year, I was one of 32 like-minded women working in Healthcare Science chosen to benefit from the Chief Scientific Officer's Women in Science and Engineering Leadership Development Programme. Identified as a future leader, I embarked on NHS England's fast tracking Aspiring Leader's scheme to address gender imbalance in scientific roles, and achieve my professional and personal goals. 

The programme is a forum for women to support other women reach their fullest potential in a field which currently lacks diversity, so as to increase female representation in science and engineering professions, and also to inspire girls to follow their dream careers. The WISE Campaign aims to reach 200,000 girls in the next 5 years, and I am learning how much I can contribute to and benefit from this effort.

For me, there have been many coaching and mentoring opportunities from senior leaders in the scientific community,  healthcare and industry. I have connected with other women in other scientific roles and established life-long relationships especially through action learning sets with 'The Northern Belles', which only this opportunity could have provided. I have showcased the vital role that I play as a woman working in Healthcare Science in the #1inamillion scheme, and created an online presence on the MySkillsMyLife website to inspire girls to follow dream careers in science. I have been able to use this WISE programme to also expand my local genomics education project. Meanwhile my professional profile has simultaneously been raised at a national level, and I featured in the Institute for Biomedical Sciences One's to Watch.

I would absolutely recommend participating in this talent management programme to all women seeking to make a difference in Healthcare Science, and challenge themselves. What an amazing career-boosting opportunity this has been for me!

Thankyou for reading. Have you seen the other topics discussed in my blog?

Popular posts from this blog

A PILOT PROGRAMME OF GENOMICS EDUCATION

Responding to the COVID crisis